Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Forever Family Day #2


I laid in bed this morning, with Luca cuddled up next to me (Nick is away on a trip) and just stared at him. If truth be known, this is not the first time I have done this. Yet, this morning it was different, as today marks two years ago that I was given the official honor of become Luca's mom.

Two years ago today, after waiting 4.5 months between trips and living in an apartment in Ekaterinburg, Russia for over 2 weeks we were handed our official adoption papers. At the time, I remember being eager to get home, but also a bit sad to be leaving Luca's birth place behind. Ekaterinburg, Russia had given me the greatest gift I could ever imagine - it wasn't easy to say goodbye to the people we had met (Dima,Olga and the O'Toole's!) or the caretakers that had raised my son for 15 months.

Now it all seems like that was ages ago. I can hardly remember life before Luca - well, I do remember sleeping in past 7AM. When we left Ekaterinburg he was a tiny 19lb. 15 month old who looked startled, overwhelmed, and confused...yet, he always had this twinkle in his blue eyes. Fast forward two years and he is a healthy, 30 pound, 3 year old who seems to grow taller overnight. He is funny, bright, energetic, and loving - and that twinkle in his eye...it is still there...its his adorable (mostly!) mischievous side.

So, today as I stared at him I recalled how far he has come in two years and I look forward to watching him continue to grow. He has brought so much joy and happiness to our family. His name is fitting - Luca, meaning bringer of light, is truly the light of my life.

No comments: